January 13, 2009

My Brother was an FBI Agent...

For the first time in my life, I need a new cell phone. All the previous cellular purchases were strictly because of want and were in no way a necessity. Ok, ok…I don’t really NEED one, but I want one! I guess nothing has changed after all…

This I can say – the cell phone that lives in my purse has outlasted all of the previous models I have owned. In fact, I have had my Blackjack for almost two years now which is the longest on record. It all started with my mom’s car phone – not cell phone, but car phone. Back in the day my mom drove a black Buick Park Avenue which featured a sweet-A car phone. It literally was connected to the floorboard and served no purpose other than for my step-brother’s communication with the FBI. That is right – the “FBI.” When we were little, he thought every black car was made to transport members of the FBI and since my mom’s car was black, she was obviously a secret member herself. He would always try to beat me to the front seat so he could receive our mission for that day via car phone and if he were so lucky as to snatch the coveted seat, I knew I was in for it. He would strap his little body into the seat and get on the phone immediately, all while turned around in his seat giving me that glare of his – my mom was nice enough to play along and most of the time we would take unnecessary turns around the city because of our “orders.” I can still remember how MAD I would get!

When I was sixteen I FINALLY got a cell phone of my own and until recently, I would upgrade every chance I got. The Blackjack has been a faithful companion and now that is time for my upgrade, I almost feel a little guilty. It is light years above that old car phone, which now that I think of it, happens to be the source of quite a few hilarious memories. I hate to think that I will never again see my little brother make another call to the FBI in the Park Avenue, but then again he will be 19 tomorrow! I am getting old…

As for the phone, we will see. I might just keep it a while longer.

XOXO

1 comment:

little erin said...

that is the greatest story. i don't know why i didn't think of doing this with my dad's old car phone. i feel as if i missed out big time on my childhood now!